Monday, August 20, 2012

Character Notes

There are three clues readers use to draw conclusions about a character.
·         Appearance
·         Action
·         Dialogue (what main character says and what others say about main character)
Many times a writer will describe a characters appearance. Readers draw conclusions about the character’s age and social position. What do you understand about this character based on the following clue?
·         “On her small feet she wore a pair of quilted slippers…I realized how wobbly she was on her feet.” (Prentice Hall 467)
·         __She might be old because she is wobbly. She may not be social because it is difficult to walk. She could be rich because her slippers are quilted. _____________________________
An author will also describe the character’s actions. What is the difference between this narrator and her grandmother?
·         “I thought Grandmother deserved an American-style bear hug. However, when I tried to put my arms around her, she stiffened in surprise…” (Prentice Hall 467)
·         ___The grandmother may have autism like Temple Grandin. She may have been alone a long time, and a hug is unexpected. She may be from a different culture that does not hug. ______
When the main character speaks, imagine the tone and how the character sounds. If you heard Grandmother speaking these lines and based on the action clues, how would she sound?
·         “Looking ashamed, Grandmother flapped a hand in the air for me to go. ‘None of your business. Now get out.’ “ (Prentice Hall 472)
·         ____She sounds angry and rude. ________________________
Characters talk about each other. Based on the narrator’s reaction about her grandmother, how does the writer want us to feel about Grandmother?
·         “By this point I was in tears. ‘She’s taken everything else. Now she wants my toe-shoe ribbons.’ “ (Prentice Hall 471)
·         _____She seems mean and greedy.______________________
“Ribbons”: Grandmother
Appearance
“On her small feet she wore a pair of quilted slippers…I realized how wobbly she was on her feet.” (467)
Actions
“I thought Grandmother deserved an American-style bear hug. However, when I tried to put my arms around her, she stiffened in surprise…” (467)

What the character says and how he or she says it
“Looking ashamed, Grandmother flapped a hand in the air for me to go. ‘None of your business. Now get out.’” (472)
What other characters say
“By this point, I was in tears. ‘She’s taken everything else. Now she wants my toe-shoe ribbons.’” (471)


No comments:

Post a Comment