Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Quotation Marks Notes

Part 1 Dialogue
In a narrative use quotation marks when writing what a character says aloud.
Rule #3 A direct quotation by a character begins with a capital letter.
Example: The Highwayman says, “One kiss my bonnie sweetheart.”
Rule #4 When an expression identifying the speaker interrupts a quoted sentence, the second part of the quotation begins with a lowercase letter. Note the comma placement.
Example: “Give me liberty,” said Patrick Henry, “or give me death!”
Rule #5 A direct quotation followed by the narrator’s identification will be set off by a comma, question mark, or exclamation point, but not a period.
Example: “One kiss, my bonnie sweetheart,” said the Highwayman.
Example: “Give me liberty or give me death!” shouted Patrick Henry.
Rule #6 When you write dialogue (a conversation), begin a new paragraph every time the speaker changes.
Rule #7 When a quotation consists of more than one sentence, put quotation marks only at the beginning and the end of the whole quotation.
Example: “One kiss, my bonnie sweetheart. I’m after a prize tonight,” said the Highwayman.

Students interpreted a comic strip and re-wrote the dialogue in paragraph form.

“Stupid weather!” exclaimed Lucy.
“Are you complaining again? Do you realize,” Linus accused his sister, “that you spend all your time complaining?”
“Why shouldn’t I complain? It’s the only thing I’m really good at,” Lucy grumbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment