Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Drawing Conclusions about Characters

These are today's notes for the composition notebook.

Elements of the Narrative: Characters
How do we readers draw conclusions about a character?

Character’s appearance
Example:
“On her small feet she wore a pair of quilted slippers…I realized how wobbly she was on her feet.”
What does this character like to do? How do you know?
Character’s actions
Example:
“I thought Grandmother deserved an American-style bear hug. However, when I tried to put my arms around her, she stiffened in surprise…”
What is different about these characters based on their actions, hugging and stiffened?
What the character says and how he or she says it
Example:
“Looking ashamed, Grandmother flapped a hand in the air for me to go. ‘None of your business. Now get out.’”
If you heard this character speaking, how would the words sound?
What other characters say
Example:
“By this point, I was in tears. ‘She’s taken everything else. Now she wants my toe-shoe ribbons.’”
One character’s reaction is crying. What does the writer want us to think about the character taking (Grandmother)?


No comments:

Post a Comment